Hubble 5-star Artificial Stars
Price: $24.95Payment Info
- To accurately test and collimate telescopes, reflectors, catadioptric, and refractors, you must perform a star test. However, to do so, you need a star. Sadly, a real star is not always available due to poor weather conditions or location. Even when a star is available, you will need a good tracking system for doing star test as the star is always moving. Also air turbulence may affect your test, and the real star may not even reveal the true quality of your telescopes or give you a perfect collimation.
- An artificial star is an excellent alternative to the real star. With an artificial star, star tests can be accurately conducted anytime and anywhere. However, the problem with the artificial star is that you need many different sizes of artificial stars for different telescopes of different apertures with different focal ratios, and even for the same telescopes but at different distances, and under different lighting environments.
- The innovative Hubble 5-star Artificial Stars is the perfect solution to the star test problem. It has 5 bright white LEDs with 5 precision pinholes (50/100/150/200/250 microns). The Hubble 5-star Artificial Stars enables you to test virtually all telescopes, regardless of aperture size, focal ratios, distance, and lighting conditions.
- You can instantly find out which star is best for your particular telescope at any particular distance and lighting environment by simply choosing the smallest possible star that still gives you a clear and defocused image.
- You can even adjust the brightness of the stars by twisting the LED cap.
- You can mask out any 4 of the 5 stars with a provided magnetic mask.
- With Hubble 5-star Artificial Stars, telescopes are now easy to test and collimate!
Please make sure the mask is clean, and use it only when needed to prevent the blockage of the pinholes.
The unit should be kept in a clean Ziploc bag when not used, and should be separated from the magnetic mask.
The Hubble Optics 5-star Artificial Stars is powered by 3 AAA batteries (Not Included).
Please note that there are NO printed instructions in the package. To setup, you simply need to insert 3 AAA battery cells, and turn it on.
Here are some very useful online resources on star test and collimation:
A must have book by Harold Richard Suiter: Star Testing Astronomical Telescopes, Second Edition
There is also a brief but excellent chapter on the star test in Richard Berry’s: Build Your Own Telescope
Frequently Asked Questions
Here is the printable form of Frequently Asked Questions
Price (single unit): $24.95 ($19.95 + $5 Shipped Worldwide) - regular price $29.95
Price (two unit pack, shipped worldwide): $46.40 (Shipped Worldwide) - regular price $55.50
6-10 business days delivery